Strange days indeed

When  I was 21 years old, I learned to carve wood. Just the basics of course. A knife and some gouges but perhaps most importantly,  a teacher who, in just a couple classes, planted his passion for the craft and fed my enthusiasm. (Thanks Bob.)
I packed those tools across the country and back again. I got married, made a couple humans, and at some point in the midst of diapers and domestic obligations, I pulled those tools out again. My old friends.
I carved into a salad bowl, cross legged on the couch after the wee humans were asleep.
It has always been my meditation, pushing sharp tools through wood. It calms me and when years had passed and I struggled less with the craft, it thrilled me to create original pieces that made other people happy too. It has brought the most amazing people into my life and I am so grateful for that.
When the humans were still wee, a book was published by Kevin Major called The House of Wooden Santas with the carvings in the book by Imelda George. I loved the idea of an author and wood carver coming together and in perhaps a bit of foreshadowing, it was about a single mom moving to small town Nova Scotia and carving for a living. That book has been in my house ever since and while Ms. George and I carve using different techniques and in very different styles, her work is an inspiration and I was very thrilled when collectors placed my work next to hers in their homes.
Fast forward to 2019, I have bought a building to convert into my new studio, I'm working with different wood to make new styles of art, and out of the blue, I get a message from some guy saying, 'how long does it take you to carve a Santa?'
I hate that question. The answer is, however snooty it sounds, 'many hours plus the 26 years I've been carving'
Luckily I wasn't too snooty because as we messaged back and forth, he explained that Hallmark (yes, that one) had purchased the rights to Kevin Major's House of Wooden Santas and they were making a film adaptation of the movie for the Hallmark channel.
First thoughts: 'hallmark has a channel?', 'is this a creepy and involved pick up line?', 'am I being punked?'
Regarding those thoughts, I don't have TV so I really had no idea Hallmark has a channel, you'd be amazed the weird messages I get, and turns out, no, not being punked.
They needed hand carved Santas for the movie. They sent a script (which I will warn you bears no resemblance to the book) and according to said script, they needed nine new carvings and 24 in total. And they needed them in less than two weeks. Could I do that? Sure says I, if I give up sleeping and eating I should be able to do that.
In the end, I sent nine new carvings, one unpainted so the star can be seen carving it, plus 15 I already had carved, and then, for good measure, they ordered four more which I carved in record time and sent yesterday.....whew!
Showbiz is nutty.
Seriously though, even if the carvings get only the briefest moment on screen, it has been quite an experience. I love that I have been selected out of all the santa carvers, as the one they want to use. I am very glad I am a fast and patient carver, and so is my new friend Keith who chose me. I have learned there is a whole community of people who like those movies (I've never seen one myself but I'll watch this one) and some call themselves 'Hallmarkies'. A revelation.
Most importantly I am grateful to my family who have always supported my dreams and my friends and customers who continue to encourage and support me with kindness (and purchases).  
The movie is still filming a the time ofmthis post and likely will be out in November.


Comments

  1. I am so proud of you Liz, you deserve it like no other. I will do my very best to see this movie. Love Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallmarkies are real, I’m not one but I want to watch this movie! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very proud of you. I always knew you had something special and that someone out there would notice. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I am so, so proud of you. I am so thrilled that we have been buying your artwork over the years, and others will now see how wonderful your work is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Liz! This is just spectacular and such wonderful recognition of your amazing talent! I will definitely watch this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Elizabeth I am a Hallmark movie watcher and I just happen to catch the CTV news! So very proud that it’s a Nova Scotia and who supplied the Santos for this movie! And I really enjoyed this movie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts