It's that time again!

Ah, Fall.
For some it is a time to rake, to put away summer things, to shop and ready themselves for Christmas giving and to prepare for the long Canadian winter that is promised.

For me, it is a mad scramble to sell as many carvings as possible so I can survive the winter. As of December 24, the money dries up and one had better be prepared. Such is the life of an artist, or in my case, a humble wood carver.

I spend my winters working of course. I teach and carve all day every day. It is just that the sales portion of my business dries up until spring. So I prepare. I pre-pay all my bills and sock away cash. As of February, I am down one chick in the nest so my poor remaining child will be the sole recipient of my attention. Poor lad.

The stress, you might think, would be considerable but truly, I cannot WAIT for winter. I just love teaching, and my students are fabulous. I carve stock for the coming season all day but I also take on special projects and challenge myself to learn new things. When I cross the lawn, hot mug of coffee in hand, and settle into my shop for the day, there are few souls on earth more content and happy than me.

So bring on the crazed Christmas rush, and I will whittle like mad until it is over. Then I will settle in and enjoy the quiet, cold days of winter living this life I am so privileged to be living.

Comments

Popular Posts