One year later....



I have had one hell of a year. 
Since the previous post in June of last year, my partner and I finished (ok mostly finished) the dream woodcarving studio I never dared dream I could have, I had to say goodbye to my beloved stepfather, my work was featured in a Hallmark Christmas movie, and my business was dramatically changed.

So "the shop" as I call it was an old convenience store that had fallen into serious and nearly irreversible disrepair, which should have scared me off but didn't. My partner, Jeffrey, is a carpenter by trade and while not leaping for joy at the prospect of a complete re-build of an old delapitaded building, he spent 8 straight months rebuilding and creating a space with me that is now a dream work shop and my happy place. It deserves a blog post of it's own so I will not go into more detail other than to say it was all-encompassing. 

That was a good thing as my step-father, Garnett, who has been my biggest fan, supporter, project manager, friend and mentor was in the last months of his life, slowly dying of a hereditary lung disease. I would have neither my career nor this life it has given me without his support. I learned to work like a machine, laugh like a fool, and love out loud from that man and I miss him every single day.

Fortunately, he was alive when I bought the old building and when he could no longer leave the house, we kept him up to date and in the loop with frequent visits and lots of pictures. He also knew about the Hallmark movie and was very excited for the potential that was offering. 

Which brings me to the Hallmark movie and the subsequent developments. 
I have been fortunate to make my living as a full time wood carver in a variety of incarnations over the last 17 years. I even opened a carving studio/cafe with my ex husband which promptly ate my carving business almost completely. I spent more time cutting up food than wood so it is a beautiful thing to be back at my true calling these last many years. 

When I say I make my living at wood carving, I truly mean that. I have no other source of income or supportive spouse who pays the bills while I tinker.  If I don't get up and go to 'work', we don't eat. Any artisans and entrepreneurs know what that means. No one will fire me if I don't show up. I won't lose a promotion, or get called to the boss's office. I just won't have any product to sell, and that means no money to pay bills and buy groceries. I am fortunate that I have the work ethic and drive to make that work for me. I have to be told to stop working sometimes but in the end, I truly believe that is why some self-employed people make it, and many do not. (I feel another blog post coming on)

So I have made that life work for me. I do not use credit cards. I live by the rule that if I have the money, I can spend it. If I do not, I will not. Crazy I know but artists and credit cards seem like a hazardous mix. I live in a rural Nova Scotia town in my old farmhouse that needs work, and I live a simple life. A beautiful, simple life. I managed to survive the slow seasons and bust my butt during the busy seasons and there was never anything extra but I never came up short. 

Then some guy named Keith had me carve a dozen Santas for a Hallmark movie.

Now I have said before that I don't have a TV in my house. I fell out of that habit when we bought the farmhouse in 2006 and haven't had any interest since. I have a computer obviously and Netflix etc but no television in my home. I didn't know Hallmark had a channel. I never heard of a Hallmarkie. I had no idea, even after carving Santa for nearly 20 years, that people are so obsessed with collecting and Christmas. 

I had to go to my mom's house to even watch the movie. Once was enough for me but I know people really liked it and the Santas looked great! So great in fact that every one on my website sold. Like in a few minutes, sold. Then the emails started. 50 then 75 then more. So I hired a friend to handle them, and kept carving. I sold everything I made up to Christmas and thought that I would have steady work after the holidays with the orders and interest I received. 
It is now May 18. I am carving, painting, and selling 10-12 carvings a week. I posted 8 new today and they sold out in 20 minutes. To say its amazing doesn't begins to describe it.
The whole thing has been overwhelming, thrilling, exciting, and a completely new experience (having a steady income being very new) What would an artist give to know every single thing they create is going to sell in just minutes? I know I could not have imagined it but here I am and I am so very grateful. 

I wish I was able to fill every request and never disappoint an interested buyer but I am learning to accept that I cannot possibly create, by hand, the volume of work that would require. My collectors and customers are patient, supportive, kind and I am so thankful to them. I finally can afford to re-invest in my business and while I am working 7 days a week, 8-12 hours a day, I really love making these carvings but more than that, love how much they are loved. They travel all over North America and people are so happy to own them. It is a great honour. 

I also know that my step-dad would be so completely amazed and excited for me. My mom comes now and then to help base-coat a batch for me and I know he would be tinkering in my new shop, making plans and finishing up the things we haven't gotten to yet. I inherited all his shop tools and when I find something I can't identify, I hold it up and say "what in the blazes is this for Pop?" .

Life is the moments. Like everyone, I have been through some hard stuff, but oh the moments I have had. Every day when I leave my beautiful shop after way too many hours, I smile and say 'goodnight shop, see you in the morning' (which written down now seems nutty but it is true)  Life is still simple, I still pay with cash, I have no intention of slowing down until my body forces me to, and I live every day with a practice of gratitude and acceptance, one wood chip at a time. 









Comments

Popular Posts