"I've Got No Strings...."


As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's, the fascination I had with puppets and marionettes was nearly unavoidable. After all,  Mr. Dressup hung out with Casey and Finegan, Sesame Street was full of kooky puppets, and the Muppet Show was just my favorite thing in the world. My mom bought me hand puppets and I would use a laundry basket to hide behind and put on a show. Then came The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and so on. Jim Henson and his imagination influenced generations of kids and I am one of them. 
As a woodcarver, I have always wanted to attempt a marionette, and as it goes with these things, I will roll an idea around, sometimes for years, until it just strikes me one day to jump in with both feet. So I jumped, and I am on the track to learning how it works. There are websites and tutorials but as always, I made two first before thinking to find out HOW I should do that. So here is my first effort. It is a nice distraction from the usual and may be something I pursue further, or maybe not. Creativity is a funny thing. Some things capture the imagination and persist, while others are easily fulfilled and moved on from. Like people I suppose. 








Comments

Popular Posts