Progress....




I've posted about woodspirits and marionettes, but the daily work of being 'ready' (whatever that means) is to carve, everyday, something sellable. It's not easy to carve half the year with no return, aka income, but the more I do ahead, the better the return in the on-season. 
So I whittle these fellas day after day, and somehow I never tire of the process. The picture is just what I have carved in the last five weeks, plus the posts since Christmas you can see below. 
I think working artisans struggle between creating art, and paying bills. Commercializing some aspect of their art in order to keep working at being a maker (and not in an office being something else) is sometimes impossible. I love to carve. I love the process, I love the spontaneity, and I never get tired of making my bread and butter. Some days, yes, I have to obsessively carve marionettes or some other itch needing a scratch but I will always be happy as long as there is a knife and a block of wood in my hands. 
So here's to the process and the joy of making art every damn day. 

Comments

Popular Posts