Confessions of a wood hoarder


It's true. The really choice logs that serendipity puts in my hands I am loathe to use up too quickly. Take today's piece for instance. 
That piece of wood fell in a yard in Truro during Huuricane Juan. The lady that planted the tree was named Elizabeth Brown. Her husband, Mr Bird had a brother, Dr Bird, who lived in Liverpool. When the tree fell, Mr Bird, knowing it was much loved carving wood, called his brother and asked if that girl who carves was still in Liverpool. Dr Bird then phoned me and we arranged to pick it up. When I got it, each piece was trimmed and the ends dipped in parrafin wax to ensure even drying. 
He said he thought it fitting that since an Elizabeth Brown planted the tree all those years ago, another should make art out of the tree. I have one large log left and look forward to more pieces of art, always with thanks to the Birds and of course a nod to Juan. 


Comments

Popular Posts