Teacher,teacher....

When I was in high school, trying to decide what to be when I grow up, I thought maybe I'd be a teacher. I went off to University and realized quickly that school was NOT where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Not to mention all those KIDS! Teachers are amazing. I so respect the job the do and I am SOOO glad I am not trying to do it too.

That being said, I love to teach. I started teaching very basic carving lessons over a dozen years ago. I got a gig teaching at Lee Valley Tools and I am STILL there all these years later. 
This year I also teach at the NSCentre for Craft and Design studios at Pier 21, and at the NSCommunity College, Lunenburg campus. 
My favourite place to teach, however, will always be my own studio. I am on my third studio space now and am so very pleased with my small but efficient space. All my tools, equipment, books, and wood are at arms length and once folks settle in, we have a blast. 
The thrill I get from seeing people develop an appreciation and sometimes passion, for woodcarving is the best part of all. 
So in spite of the drastic change of plans from high-school-me, turns out I am a teacher. The biggest relief is that I FINALLY know what I want to be when I grow up. 


Comments

Popular Posts