Home for a rest...



One joy of being creative for a living is working with someone on a piece they have asked you to carve. 
This one is especially meaningful for me. My friend is a sailor and spends half the year in the cold North Atlantic. He requested a carving of one of the lighthouses he sees when he first gets near land on the return trip. 
This friend was a beacon for me when I needed an ear and some support. He gave me some choice advice that included 'never settle for less than you know you deserve.' And also 'sleep sideways in the bed.' That's important when you're learning to be alone. 
He hand-picked this slab of mahogany from his friend's specialty wood store and now this piece will be in his new home and part of his family from now on. 

Cape Spear lighthouse in Newfoundland. 
This last pic is the finished, waxed and sealed carving at its new home. 



Comments

Popular Posts